Have you been meaning to join a gym and to start doing something about your weight? Do you find the gym fees too expensive? Do you find you do not have time to go to a gym or it is too far away or too inconvenient? You do not need a gym. And you do not need to buy the latest exercise, weight loss machine – don’t you love the TV ads that show people having such a great time and losing weight while you watch? If it was only that easy!
Here are some simple things you can do lose weight at home:
1. Stand up as much as you can. Look for the jobs you normally sit down to do and see if you can do them standing up. Standing requires energy and energy uses calories.
2. Move as much as you can. Look for reasons to stand up and move. There are plenty of household jobs that require movement and bending. Incidental movement helps use calories.
3. If you have been sitting for a while, get up and move. Walk around. Do some stretching exercises.
4. Set aside some time for aerobic exercise. This can be as simple as walking on the spot. Give yourself time to warm up and you can then lift you intensity. High intensity exercise will burn fat if it is done regularly. A simple high intensity routine is to walk on the spot at a normal pace for 12 seconds then walk as fast as you can for 8 seconds. Do this for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times week and you will lose weight. If you have an exercise bike or walking machine, you can use them. Here’s a tip so you do not have to glue your eyes to a clock while you are exercising: count the number of slow steps you do in 12 seconds and the number of fast steps you do in 8 seconds then all you have to do is count the steps each time.
5. Use yoga and stretching exercises to relax and strengthen your muscles. This will help you get rid of some aches and pains and help you lose weight. Buy a DVD to follow or a book on yoga positions or check the Internet.
6. If you have some hand weights, use them when you are walking on the spot to give your arms some resistance. This will strengthen and firm your arm muscles. If you do not have weights then find something in the pantry cupboard – bottles, jars, tins.
7. If you need guidance and variety, buy an exercise DVD to follow. There are a number of good ones that start at a basic level and allow you to increase your activity as you get fitter.
8. Exercise is an important way to lose weight at home but it must go hand in hand with a healthy diet. Make sure you cut down on the amount of white flour and white sugar you are eating. Eat as many fresh fruit and vegetables as you can. Include plenty of protein in your diet as well as complex carbohydrates like whole grain bread. Cut down on the amount you eat at night – a glass or two of water before your meal will help you do this.
You do not have to step outside your door to exercise and lose weight. In fact, your home is the perfect place to lose weight because you are in total control of your environment. You can control what you eat and how and when you will exercise. All you need is a little space and the will to do it.